Saturday, January 4, 2014

7 Days Until "Done Enough"

 We had one week to do the kitchen, so the day after Christmas we moved out of the kitchen and began demo. Overall everything went as expected. With a house this old we figured nothing would be level or square and our suspicions were confirmed. We did not actually get it completely done, but at this point it is done enough. Since we are both going back to work we will have to finish when we have time. We still need to paint, put in the island, tile the back splash and finish the floor. I thought I would share some pics of our progress. I am anxious to get it done so I can post the actual finished project!
Day 1 demo, my awesome brother appears like an angel to help us out.

At the end of day 1 the kitchen is empty.

End of Day 2

Day 3

Day 4 featuring the electric man.

I should have hidden the chairs.

Day 5 

Day 6

The greatest plumber and carpenter we know, Tony's Dad Marshall.

Not the original sink we picked out. The first one was rejected by the above mentioned plumber with a slight scolding on choosing the proper sink. He knows best, so we made yet another trip to Lowe's to buy a new sink. We are so glad we did it. This sink is beautiful in person.

Day 7: The floor had several boards that were rotted under the cabinets. We put new oak hardwood planks in to patch it up and with a good sanding and some stain it will look great (I hope).

The coffee bar area was a must for me.

We are not putting in upper cabinets. We want to keep the kitchen open, so we are putting shelves on both sides of the window for our dishes. I guess this will be a good excuse to get nicer dishes.

Love the pantry!

Tony & Cameron planned the location of the hood before any cabinets were installed. They did a perfect job of lining it up with the range. Tony mapped out and measured everything perfectly for the entire kitchen. Cameron installed an enormous amount of outlets so no more power strips. My kitchen is on multiple circuits so I can run all my appliances at once without blowing a breaker.  They went the extra mile and vented it outside. I love the lights on the hood.

The light over the sink is one of the antique lights that my friend Catherine Hackman gave me from her house remodel. A coat of paint and it looks great over the window. We have white subway tile back splash to put up and the walls will be the same grey on the dining room. When the island goes in the table will move over the the other side of the kitchen. Cameron already has the wall wired for hanging the TV and it is loaded with ethernet jacks for a computer. 


1 comment:

  1. Kim, I would love to see this in person! It is so nice to have a functional kitchen. I am in absolute heaven with mine.

    ReplyDelete